Thursday, February 9, 2012

Unhealthy College Students

      Hello everyone my name is Nancy Ruiz. I am a nursing major and this is my sophomore year at state. Saving lives and making people feel better has always been in my life plan. I decided to become a nursing major once I became a certified EMT/First Responder my senior year of high school. I knew their was more to learn about the medical field and I was also looking forward to experience the college life. I’m a very ambitious and adventures person who likes to enjoy life and all that comes with it. 
          There is a difference from eating junk food on a daily basis and eating it once in a while. Sometimes students change their eating habits by a certain timing of the semester/quarter. For example, during finals they drink a high percentage of caffeine and eat an enormous amount of snacks that are considered junk food. Many students who would regularly eat red meat have now exchanged it for more saturated fats. Each student has his/her own eating habits, but there is a common routine when varies student have classes in the afternoon. They usually get by with chip and a soda or any fast food that is on the way to their classes. Eating habits have increased both women and mens weight and have added to their medical problems. “Freshmen 15” has been a common phrase for freshmen, because of the high risk of weight gain. With new snacks coming out as well as other fattening foods the phrase will change to “Freshmen 30.”
           Although I criticize fattening foods and students who build their nutrition on them; I often do it as well. Considering that I am a college student and have experienced both living out of campus as well as living in the dorms there are many eating habits students have. When I was a freshmen I felt a great deal of responsibility to take care of myself and feed myself what I would regularly have back at home. As time started passing by I got lazier and decided to eat the usual junk food everyone was eating. During finals all I would eat would be chips, sandwiches and a bottle of coke cola, because that was the easiest form of food to obtain at a cheap price. The care packages your parents usually bought from the school during the time of finals or midterms would consist of tea, chips, cookies and candy. These packages were supposed to be nutritious and healthy. Once I moved out of the dorms, I started eating healthier and began to exercise on a daily basis. I have help from friends with the same methods. Food can be tasteful and healthy, but when consuming too much it can lead to clogged arteries or weight gain. Especially junk food that we as college students consume everyday.


                 When consuming a certain junk food why do we go back to it on a regular basis? How long can you stay on a healthy diet plan or resist temptation of fattening foods? I hope to answer all readers questions as well as discover new heathy meal plans for college students. Also I hope to help my readers maintain a certain budget while shopping for foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment